Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Black Bread

Buster has discovered that he likes dark Estonian rye bread.  I don't know that I have ever seen an equivalent to this type of bread in the States.  When I say "dark", I mean practically black.  Not a typical item found on the "first foods" diet in the States, but for our little guy it has found its way into the lineup of peas, carrots, bananas, pears, apples, squash, and sweet potatoes.

Buster has also discovered that he does not enjoy sitting in his stroller all day long, but he does enjoy sleeping in his stroller all night long.  It would, in fact, be better to say that if he is awake, Buster much prefers to be carried in my arms where he can really see all the action.  But, if he is asleep, or trying to be asleep, at this point in our travels, he will not sleep anywhere but sitting up in his stroller like a little old man who has fallen asleep in his favorite chair.

It is possible that he has learned that yelling in the backseat of the car while mom and dad are in the thick of driving through trams, buses, and traffic while desperately trying to read the names of road signs that seem no bigger than a loaf of bread will result in any assortment of things (sippy cups, pacifiers, beloved "Roy", dark Estonian rye bread) being shoved at offered to him.

I'm hoping that he is learning that, even in the midst of new smells, sounds, sights, routines, betimes, mom and dad are trustworthy.  We will always do our best to meet his needs, protect him, and let him know that he is absolutely loved.

Eventually, I long for my son to have many memories of not just the adventure of traveling to new places, but the deep sense connection to people that transcends culture.  I long for him to experience the broad sense of the idea of "home" that I began to understand during the course of my 20's.

"Home" is where you know that you are wanted and waited for.

It has been such a joy and comfort to my soul to be in this place for which I have often felt homesick.  We have a couple days left in Estonia.  Just enough time to brainstorm how to bring lots of dark rye bread back on the airplane.

1 comment:

  1. So glad to hear that you're having a good time:). I can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete